Saturday, October 10, 2009


A mechanism that fits my needs...

To diagram what a door handle is like.... figure out the mechanism....
Thinking about a door handle in terms of both the rotary dial phone and an object used to open doors...

Flower buds came to mind, as far as form goes... Something that represents a future...

And going off tradition...

Finding form...

And color...
These sketches ensued...
I think I've decided that I'm going to make a "flower bud" inspired door knob, and in that will be my finger holes for my much needed function. I want to try and make the form hollow so that the negative space in the middle is visible... I am also making it in wood.
The material was throwing me a little bit, because I don't want to make the knob out of metal. I decided wood to go along the lines of communication and the properties of it... being non-conductive of electricity, the wood would challenge the ideas of what a door does and what a phone does. For my project I'm summing those functions down to the idea of a relationship, and advancing relationships, through communication and "opening doors.''

No comments:

Post a Comment