Sunday, September 20, 2009

Bringing Outside, In.



This is a living moss bathroom rug by designer, Nguyen La Chanh.
The idea is that the humidity, as well as the drips of water off the body keep the plant alive, while being a soft foot rest simultaneously.

The beauty in this piece is the dependency between living things. Most people keep house plants, but a lot of them don't have huge connections to them, aside from aesthetic pleasure and occasional watering sessions. I love the idea of something surviving off of peoples waste of water. The thought that something other than mold on your bathroom ceiling is going to grow because of the humidity produced from a hot, steamy shower.

I originally stumbled across these photos a couple months ago when I was fascinated by the idea of growing my own moss. The thing about moss that intrigues me is the texture and tiny scale in which it grows. Moss is complex, patterned, and it feels great when you just barely run your hand across it. I spent a couple weekends over the summer in a northern Wisconsin cabin, in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do but absorb nature and in that i found moss.

No comments:

Post a Comment